Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Miss Rap City

One of my favorite shows for a long time was Rap City until BET did one of dumbest things ever and cancelled the longest running Hip Hop show of all time. Even though Rap City had recently been littered with subpar music videos it was still the only place to watch rap videos on a regular basis. This is just another example of Viacom, the company that owns BET, attempting to kill Hip Hop. Rap City was replaced with this wack ass show named The Deal. I haven't watched this crap. First off I stopped watching Rap City on a regular basis when Big Tigger left, but I still tuned in to catch the DJ's and freestyles in the booth. Now there's just a lower quality copy attempt that airs at 2AM. The show that repaced Rap City doesn't have hosts with credible Hip Hop resumes. The show is hosted by Memphitz (who's career peak is producing Huey "Pop, Lock and Drop It" and T-Pain "Buy You A Drank") and DJ Diamond Kutz (who?). What the hell is wrong with BET? I watch it just like the next man but I'm not ignorant to the fact that its programming is horrible. 106 & Park sucks without AJ and Free, there is no more good original programming (with the exception of American Gangster and my guilty pleasure Keyshia Cole: The Way It Is) and BET's first attempt at a sitcom is a piece of trash named Somebodies. The BET Awards shows which include the BET Awards, the BET Hip Hop Awards, the BET Comedy Awards and the Celebration of Gospel are alright. Honestly I feel the live performances on the Celebratin of Gospel are the best. I wish BET would bring back quality shows like Teen Summit that educated as well as entertained and BET Tonight with Tavis Smiley but I would settle for my Rap City. Businessman Carlton Richard is in negotiatins to revamp Rap City but I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon. P360 Takeover Volume 2 drops in 21 days on January 20!

Here's what my boy Aaron McGruder thinks of BET

No comments:

Post a Comment